Skip navigation

24 Hour Emergency Service Available


Warnings about Carbon Monoxide This Winter

This is an important warning we like to post before the start of each winter season. When the cold weather arrives, you’ll start to use your furnace on a regular basis to keep your household toasty warm. Chances are high that you have a natural gas furnace, which is the most popular type of residential heating system in North America. There are a number of good reasons for this:

  • Natural gas is less expensive a fuel source than electricity.
  • It’s convenient, piped right into your home.
  • It burns cleanly, with few harmful emissions.
  • Gas-powered furnaces can provide powerful levels of heat.

But there’s one downside to using natural gas for heat, and it’s the potential for carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

CO is a colorless, odorless, and toxic gas that is a byproduct of the combustion of natural gas. Anything that burns can emit carbon monoxide, but natural gas appliances present the highest potential danger. We don’t want to alarm you that your gas furnace is dangerous—it was designed with safety in mind. But you do need to take some steps to protect your household from CO poisoning during the winter.

The most important step is to have carbon monoxide detectors placed in your house. These are inexpensive units that run on batteries; you can find them at most home improvement stores. Place them in bedrooms and any room with a natural gas appliance. If the detectors go off, leave your house immediately and call the proper authorities for help.

The other important step is to have your furnace given a professional inspection as part of its annual fall maintenance. Through our maintenance program, you’ll have all the important parts of the furnace checks for safety issues. Afterward, you can enter the winter with high confidence in the safe performance of your furnace.

Call the Doctor of Home Comfort: Hall’s Heating, Air Conditioning & Refrigeration serves Stonewall, LA.

Comments are closed.