Safety is a vital part of all the jobs we do for our customers. When we fix a natural gas furnace in a house, we don’t just ensure that it will come on, provide heat, and operate at energy-saving levels. We also make sure it runs as safely as possible. Although gas furnaces are built with the same priority on safety that we use in our work, it is possible for the combustion byproducts from the furnace—which include carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide, and sulfur dioxide—to accidentally enter living spaces. These are toxic gases and create many serious, life-threatening health hazards.
You’re probably aware of what high concentrations of these gases do. But the safety concerns aren’t only about a large amount of combustion byproducts flooding into a home. There’s also the risk of chronic exposure to low levels. The symptoms aren’t as obvious, but over the long-term can be just as dangerous, especially to infants and the elderly. The main reason for the low-level presence of combustion byproducts is a furnace that is venting poorly.