Skip navigation

24 Hour Emergency Service Available


Carbon Monoxide Testing: Why It’s Important

Do you use natural gas in your home? Whether you use it for powering appliances in the kitchen, running a furnace, or both, it’s important that you test your home for the presence of harmful levels of carbon monoxide (CO). Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of the incomplete combustion of natural gas (as well as other fuels, but the principle concern in homes comes from natural gas) and it can leak from malfunctioning appliances or become backed up into a home if it isn’t properly vented.

Even homes that don’t rely on natural gas can have CO problems if they have an attached garage: fumes from vehicles can easily enter the living spaces. Other CO sources include kerosene heaters and poorly vented fireplaces.

The reason to test for carbon monoxide

We’ve discussed CO detectors before: they’re an important defense against a sudden rise of carbon monoxide levels in your house, giving you time to evacuate to safety. However, it’s a good idea to have general testing to see if your home already has elevated CO levels and what is causing it.

Carbon monoxide is toxic and in large quantities can lead to death. But it will still cause health issues in smaller quantities as it takes the place of oxygen within the blood: nausea, headaches, dizziness, general fatigue, and shortness of breath. The risks are greater for children and the elderly.

These lower, but still harmful, levels of CO will usually escape detectors: most detectors will only go off if there is 70 ppm (parts per million) in the air for more than a few hours. But CO levels over 35 ppm can create health concerns! For the health of your family, as well as your peace of mind, arrange to have your home tested for the presence of carbon monoxide.

Please keep in mind that this testing isn’t a substitute for having CO detectors. Even if testing shows safe CO levels, make sure that you have detectors placed near gas-using appliances and in all the bedrooms.

If you need gas furnace repair in Bossier, LA to prevent carbon monoxide issues, just look to the Doctor of Home Comfort: Hall’s Heating, Air Conditioning & Refrigeration.

Comments are closed.